Skip to main content
Add Me To Your Mailing List

Foggy Bottom West End Village

HomeVehicle Donation

Donations of cars, boats, motorcycles accepted

We want your old clunker!

The Village is now able to take tax-deductible donations of used cars, motorcycles and boats through Vehicles For Charity (VFC) a national organization with an A+ Better Business Bureau rating that has served more than 2,000 charities.

To give, go to the VFC web site.

• Click on “Donate.”

• Enter “Foggy Bottom West End Village” in the “Donate your vehicle to…” box.

• Complete the rest of the form.

• Check that you agree to the terms and click “Submit.”

A representative from VFC will call you to confirm and give you instructions on filling out the vehicle title and turning over the vehicle.   After the vehicle is sold, VFC will tell you the amount of your charitable donation.

Your tax deduction will be based on the resale value of the vehicle at auction.  The Village will receive 80% of the resale value.

To make a donation, you must have a vehicle title and VIN number.  The vehicle must at least have an engine and be towable.  You must know the mileage, make, model and year.

You do not have to be a Village member to make a donation,  and you don't have to live in Washington, DC, just somewhere in the continental United States, so talk to your family and friends!

Questions?  Call VFC at 1-866-628-CARS (1-866-628-2277).  

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the benefits of donating my car to Foggy Bottom West End Village?

The Village benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?

In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a representative at 1 866 628 2277 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.

Do you only accept cars for donation?

Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program toll free at 1 866 628 2277.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days. Call our representatives at 1 866 628 2277.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

What paperwork do I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you when you call-in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien].

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

How does the new law effect my tax deduction?

Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, our driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.

What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.

An IRS Form 1098-C, “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?

The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.

What if my car is valued over $5,000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle. 


:: Foggy Bottom West End Village: 
2430 K Street, NW : Washington, DC 20037 : 202-333-1327 ::